At Symbiotics NZ (we, us our), we recognize the importance of your privacy. We comply with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
What information do we collect?
When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically collected information as “Device Information.”
Additionally, when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information, email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “Order Information.” *Note: your credit card details are fully encrypted and confidential, so we do not hold your credit card details nor collect it as data.
How do we collect your data?
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org. Alternatively, you can choose to opt out “Cookies” and select the ‘exit’ button on the cookies pop out banner when you enter the Site.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
How do we use your information?
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to
- Fulfil any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations).
- Communicate with you;
- Improve our services and products to you;
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud;
- When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising/re-targeting relating to our products or services;
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim;
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us on
- Screening for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address);
- Improving and optimise our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site;
- Assessing the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns.
Who do we share your data with?
We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us use your Personal Information. For example, we use Shopify to power our online store--you can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy . We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site--you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/ .
We may also disclose your Personal Information to:
- Another company or brand within our Group.
- Any business* that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products.
- a credit reference agency for the purpose of credit checking you.
- other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- any other person authorised by you.
*A business that supports our services and products may be located outside New Zealand. This may mean your personal information is held and processed outside New Zealand.
Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and the ACT, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
We will take reasonable steps, by maintaining organisational and technical measures, to keep your personal information safe from loss, interference, unauthorised access & activity, or other misuse.
Your personal information is stored in a secure environment and is accessed only by authorised personnel for permitted purposes, although, because of the nature of the internet, we cannot guarantee that such information is totally protected from hackers and misuse.
When you place an order through the Site, we will maintain your Order Information for our records unless otherwise requested by you to delete this information.
What if you want to opt out?
You can disable “Cookies” by selecting Exit button on the pop up banner when you visit the site, or changing the settings on your browser, although this may mean that you cannot use all of the features of the website.
You can also opt-out of Google Analytics and targeted advertising from the followings links.
Google Analytics : https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
As described above, we use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work .
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com.